With the COVID restrictions being lifted phase wise in India, the Ministry of Home Affairs has issued a notifications to all states for seamless movement of road transportation between states where professional Packers and Movers Bangalore too form an integral part of logistics. While the transporters are waking up to the slowdown in economic activity and its gradual uplift by the day, the emission control is the last activity that is registered in their minds currently.
Similarly, the process of moving home raises so much stress for most individuals that the ideas for reducing the carbon footprint while relocating never enters their thoughts and actions. Regrettably so, moving process uses a lot of resources that are harmful to the nature which often become wasteful in excess. Disposable products like packing material and the use of large trucks that run on diesel while moving, is your contribution towards increasing the carbon footprint in the environment. If you are determined for an eco-friendly move, you should perhaps look for ways to reduce the wastage. Our readers and patrons interested in disrupting their moving activity for a better environment should follow these easy tips to execute the Green move:
- Reduce you moving volume: Consider your move as a golden opportunity to reduce your belongings by getting rid of unnecessary and unusable stuff. By doing this, either you reduce the number of trips taken to ship your goods or hire a smaller truck for the move. Sort your things out and create an inventory list of all the items and segregate them in 2 different lists – what to pack and what not to pack. Once you have sorted them out, give away the items to a charity you don’t find necessary to carry or sell them off to a scrap merchant to make extra bucks.
- Reusable plastic containers: Reputed movers normally use reusable plastic containers that help them reduce the total cost of move by avoiding purchase and usage of carton boxes for every order. While they do it for economic reasons basically, this is indirectly helping the environmentally conscious world to reduce the amount of cardboard being used during relocation. The other benefit that plastic containers present is the extra padding they provide to your fragile goods during unavoidable jostling in the moving truck.
- Recycled carton boxes: If you are considering a do-it-yourself move, you may not want to invest in plastic containers. Procuring recycled carton boxes is a brilliant way to maintain an eco-friendly move. Your neighborhood grocery stores have an excess of such boxes intended for scrap. Such places don’t really mind selling you the carton boxes for cheap. You are not only saving money by utilizing such boxes, you are also doing your bit to protect the earth by saving another tree that might be used to produce a new carton box.
- Avoid packing material made of plastic: You have appreciably procured recycled boxes to maintain a Green move but are planning to wrap your items inside by bubble and film wrap. Isn’t your purpose of a green move defeated? Instead, use extra sheets of old newspaper to wrap your things before placing them properly inside carton boxes. Some reputed Movers and Packers Mumbai offer biodegradable packing material at an extra cost. You can also use old towels and bed sheets to protect your belongings instead of using corrugated sheets or plastic wraps. We are not suggesting you to completely avoid bubble wraps, since you may compulsorily need them to pack your most fragile and light goods that might break with the use of cloth or paper.
- Cook meals in advance: Preparing your own food in advance for the move day will help you avoid expensive takeaway food which is essentially supplied in disposable containers. You are in a way helping mother earth by avoiding the plastic that is supplied with outside food. Cook your food a day before and store in the refrigerator and microwave it when you want it is time to eat.
- Look for environmentally conscious truck companies: Finding a moving truck at the truck stand will invariably lead you to trucks that are scantily serviced and maintained since the truck driver/owners are not educated enough to realize the impact of polluting trucks to the environment. But with a little effort on internet search or through references, you may be able to find trucking companies that are diligent towards their contribution over environmental impact. While you have already reworked on your total volume to be shipped, ensure you get the right sized truck to transport your goods. You did this entire exercise to sort your goods only to hire smaller, cheaper and fuel-efficient truck. You also need to ensure the loading is done efficiently to reduce the number of trips that will suitably help the environment.
- Recycle the packing material after use: Carton boxes are absolutely reusable and can be recycled after you have used them. Check with your moving company over handling packing material after use. Most of them offer returnable carton boxes and collect it back after delivery. This will ensure the material you have used would be recycled for the next move that they take up. Else, you should ensure that you sell the packing material to the scrap merchant or give it away to a friend or colleague who is planning relocation soon.
- Avoid chemical cleaning agents: When you are cleaning your new home before the move, ensure you do not use cleaning agents laden with chemicals. Look for green cleaning material and reusable material like cotton rags or sponge. Green cleaning material is plant-based and free of toxic chemicals that helps you ensure safer environment inside home.
You can successfully complete an eco-friendly move whether it is locally within city, inter-state or internationally. You are however required to dedicate some effort to make it very environment friendly which ultimately makes you glad over the desired outcome. We hope you abide by this step-by-step guide to ensure an eco-friendly move and learn how to recycle your packing material in order to avoid unnecessarily wasteful packing supplies.